Yes, I intended to rhyme because I’m adorable and quirky. Obviously.
Anyway. Strap in because this is going to be a long post.
Liebster Award! I was nominated for this award by Ana over at Beauty & Lifestyle With Ana. I’ve only recently discovered this blog but I love it; first of all, Ana is gorg. She also has tons of great tips for cleaning brushes, workouts, reviews of drugstore and high-end products, and she’s so positive I just enjoy reading the things she has to say. Thank you again, Ana! I’m really honored and proud to have been nominated by this awesome blogger.
The Liebster Award 2017 is an award that exists only on the internet and is given to bloggers by other bloggers, the goal being to give new bloggers additional exposure. The award has been around since 2011, and Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
You can find the official rules for the Liebster Award over at The Global Aussie. This dude is sort of the unofficial keeper of the award; he didn’t invent it but he has updated the rules, widgets, etc. Rules, you ask? Yes. Rules. We need to work for our awards here on the interwebs.
- Thank the person who nominated you and include a link to their blog. Check.
- Display the award on your blog. Also, check.
- Write a short post about your favorite blog. See below.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. This is harder than it sounds.
- Nominate new/unknown blogs you feel are deserving of the award.
- List the rules in your post. Check.
- Notify the blogs you’re nominating that they’ve been nominated and include links to your post, rules, etc.
Ok, so my all-time favorite blog is still The Bloggess. I almost feel like this doesn’t count since Jenny Lawson has now written multiple books and isn’t exactly a small, unknown blogger, but I still love her. Unlike a lot of bloggers who write books and consequently fall off the internet (Hyperbole and a Half, anyone?), Jenny still posts on the regular about her ridiculous life and love of taxidermied creatures. I appreciate her humor, especially in terms of her mental illness and her marriage, and I’ve always been really impressed with how open she is about her struggles. If there’s one blogger I really aspire to be like, it’s her, and not just because of the book deal. I definitely recommend checking her out.
Now, 10 random facts about me:
- My full-time job is for a dating website (that you’ve definitely heard of), and one of the things I’m responsible for is kicking jerkwads and perverts off the site.
- I live in New York State, relatively close to the Canadian border, and when I was a kid I didn’t realize that it was a separate country because we went to Canada so often.
- I’m a volunteer docent (tour guide) at a women’s history museum and could give an epic speech on the history of various civil rights movements from the mid-19th to the early 20th century.
- I routinely go on ghost hunts and explore abandoned places with my friends.
- I love beer.
- I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life.
- I don’t want kids. I know that’s a controversial thing to say, but I’m not maternal or nurturing in any way. I have a ton of nieces and nephews and adore them all, but never wanted to be responsible for kids on a permanent basis.
- I love horror movies.
- I’m terrified of birds. Thanks Hitchcock.
- Halloween is my favorite holiday, with Christmas as a close second.
Part of the award also involves answering questions posed to me by Ana:
- What is the most extreme thing you’ve ever done?
- I guess this depends on how you define “extreme”. I’ve been white water rafting, took a 3,000 mile solo road trip and also occasionally spend a full weekend in my house alone, unshowered, reading books.
- If you could give someone $1,000,000 who would you give it to?
- My boyfriend because he’d share. HA! But really, I’d likely donate it to one of the many causes that I currently support, like my local PBS station, a library or a local mental health outreach program.
- How do you get inspired to start a blog post?
- Watching YouTube, reading other blogs, walking through the drugstore… I never know when or where inspiration might strike.
- Name the top 3 most beautiful beaches you’ve visited. Which one would you choose to revisit and why?
- Siesta Key, Vero Beach, Keuka Lake. I’d choose to go back to Siesta Key because it’s so beautiful and the water is warm and the sand is white. It’s just amazing. They also have awesome pancakes.
- Name three things that bring joy to your life and why?
- Books, because they transport me to other times and places. Writing, because I can create those worlds for myself. The internet, because the whole of human knowledge is at my fingertips.
- If you had a superpower, what would it be and why?
- This is the hardest question to me. I think I’d choose the power of flight so I’d never have to fly on a commercial airline again. Flying coach is the literal worst.
And finally, my nominees for the Liebster Award:
And here are the questions I pose to my nominees:
- Why did you start blogging?
- If you were stranded on a desert island what’s the one non-survival item you’d want to have?
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- What’s the scariest thing that’s ever happened to you?
- Since we’re all makeup/beauty bloggers, what’s the one makeup or beauty item you always use, even when you’re sick/rushed?
So that’s it for my award. Thank you for anyone who made it through the entire post!